Sunday, November 27, 2016

Martial Family, Club Pride.

Pre-dawn in Chicago. Cold Coffee in the cup holder of my car from last night. No time to eat, I have some where to be.

I meet up with my crew and head into the loop, It's a quick run, no traffic at 6 am. Not on thanks giving day. 

I pass by a few other groups, people huddled in the pre-dawn, and get directions from a lady in a red coat. By the time we park it's 7 am.

One of the guilders, Nick, was waiting for us though the street was empty. Through the morning, 40 or so more of us would filter in. 


Now, I'm not gonna lie,we looked good. We looked top notch. I am proud of my students and my people. We marched, for the third time in the Chicago thanks giving day parade.


But that's not why I am pleased. These people are more than my students, and Forteza is more than just a salle. These are my people, my friends, my comrades. We sweat, We work, and We bleed together. We sling steel and one another, we toss each other, we triumph together.

It's moments like this, the people waiting around for the parade to begin, laughing, dancing, joking. the children smiling and practicing hard, excited to be on TV for the first time in their lives. These moments make me proud of what we have wrought here.

In life, you are born unto a family, and that's fate. You can choose your friends, and that's a choice. 
That's love, and it's what keeps me in the game. 
Love of the art, and love of these people.


That's why I do this. 


No comments:

Post a Comment